Friday, March 27, 2015

Major League Cricket


In an alternate universe, the Beatles' British Invasion left an even bigger footprint on American Culture. The Beatles performed at Shea Stadium in August of 1965. The following off season, 6 teams with stadiums with big, circular, cookie cutter stadiums decided to switch to a more proper sport. The teams formed Major League Cricket. Those teams were the Mets, Athletics, Orioles, Cardinals, Braves, and Astros. The teams invented the Twenty20 version cricket to appeal to the American spectators. Each October, the teams would compete for the Ashes Series.

The game began growing, and interest sparked in other Major League cities. Teams began defecting to MLC when they opened their big stadiums, splitting them with the NFL team in the same city. Soon following, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, and Philadelphia switched in time for the 1970 and 1971 season.

Major League Cricket started to expand in the next 15 years. The Seattle Mariners Cricket Club, and the Expos de Montréal du cricket came into the league at 1976. The Minnesota Twins also joined in 1982. The history of these teams evolved exactly like the MLB counterparts of this universe, except the stadiums. Most teams stayed in their circular cookie cutters. The Expos moved to RFK Stadium and became the Nationals in 2005.

----------

I got into cricket during this Cricket World Cup. I realized how simple the rules were when I compared them to baseball. There's no major cricket league in this country, and thought that I could stir up the most interest by putting MLB logos on my template, which I made today. I thought that choosing the teams with big circular stadiums would be a good start. I'll tell you that this was not my most creative series concept wise, but I had fun doing it. Typically, cricket uniforms are a polo with pants. Each team in a league has a different color uniform, so no matter who you play, you wear your primary jersey. I kept that in mind, and tried my best to diferentiate.














No comments:

Post a Comment